My photo
New York, New York, United States
I've found a muse in this idea of a revolution.. that something's gotta give because the pressure's building. This is my effort to never stop moving forward, never stop creating, never stop imagining.. looking & working to promote artists from all paths and if you fall flat on your face in the process - send me pictures and I'll post them full website coming soon: www.nikinikol.com peace & blessings

Friday, July 1, 2011

Unlocking Pandora's Box

     Exactly 2 months ago today, I finally had one of my New York dreams come true: I moved into my first apartment all by myself - no roommates!

It was fascinating to see my personality begin to coat the interior.  Painted walls, a piano, pictures, art work, and dozens of adornitos that I'd collected over the years began to decorate my place.  I don't have to ask anyone if I can put those flowers in that kitchen corner because that decision only rests with me now.  It's deliciously liberating.

     In the midst of my move I uncovered a box of memories that had been locked away inside my head and this led me to begin exploring my past again, revisit things I hadn't summoned in 10 years.  I wasn't doing this for pity or attention, nor because I was trying to go back to that time or make anything the way it was.  Rather, these were memories I had completely forgotten about - some were blocked out so forcefully because I thought they didn't matter - some because I was told they were meaningless.  

     The realization that your love for a person can make you lose yourself; to really accept that you literally forgot, blocked out, and changed who you were...to realize you allowed yourself to go that far, to lose that much of a grip on reality - you have to turn those acidic thoughts into something productive, if not you'll corrode overnight.

     So I turn to you, mujeres:

Do you feel your past grounds you in your daily life?  Do you walk with your past as a proud part of who you are, or do you hunch over in an attempt to hide it?  We all have things we really wish we didn't remember - is there something you wish you could?

     There is no judgement here - more a desire to no longer be silent.  We are held to so many double standards imposed on us by society as a whole, and we are considered damaged if we don't meet those standards.  

     Here's what I think about that:

I love what I've been through and refuse to be ashamed of it any longer because I've realized I don't have to be.

"I think your whole life shows in your face and you should be proud of that." - Lauren Bacall

No comments:

Post a Comment