My photo
New York, New York, United States
I've found a muse in this idea of a revolution.. that something's gotta give because the pressure's building. This is my effort to never stop moving forward, never stop creating, never stop imagining.. looking & working to promote artists from all paths and if you fall flat on your face in the process - send me pictures and I'll post them full website coming soon: www.nikinikol.com peace & blessings

Thursday, June 30, 2011

For others who lack Coping Skills

There's this kid that stands in the train station I pass through every day on my way home, begging for money with a sign hanging off the stubs where his arms should be.

What do you do with that?

Most people just walk by, maybe throw a few dollars his way, and then let the whole business just slide out of their minds.  When I try to do that, however, I feel like I'm going to be struck by lightning for attempting to "forget" what I saw.  But at the same time, what else can I do?  I can't take him in and care for him...but then I think "Where's his family?  Why is he all alone?"  On the sign it says he's 20 years old.

How am I supposed to handle that?

I understand the irrationality of thinking Karma will strike me dead - but it's still what I think every time. In my head, since I'm able to specifically distinguish my own individual thoughts and feelings and analyze it so clearly, I feel I should be able to change it, alter it, fix it.  (My, how arrogant perspective can make us...)

Just because I can dissect it unfortunately doesn't give me the tools needed to stop the feelings.  You feel this overwhelming responsibility for things that aren't your fault.  It's like you're drowning in it.

You know you shouldn't hate yourself,
You understand the breakdown and explanation of your feelings,
but you can't stop them.

Mental fucking Purgatory.

No comments:

Post a Comment